About the campaign
The Real Bread Campaign was co-founded by Sustain and Andrew Whitley of Bread Matters and officially launched on 26 November 2008.
Our universally-accessible defintion of bread is simply that it is made without any so-called ‘processing aids’ or other additives.
From this starting point we:
- Call for an Honest Crust Act to protect everyone’s right to know the full truth about a loaf before they buy.
- Champion and support small, local, independent Real Bread bakeries, for example with our free Real Bread Map, the book Knead to Know, The Real Bread Loaf Mark, the No Loaf Lost surplus reduction project, annual events including Real Bread Week and Sourdough September, and ongoing media work.
- Run the Together We Rise project to help people living with mental health issues or otherwise having a tougher time than most of us, to benefit from baking Real Bread
- Have helped more than 10,000 children in at least 150 schools learn to make Real Bread through our Lessons in Loafand Bake Your Lawn initiatives
- Help people to get baking Real Bread at home